Thursday, November 25, 2004

Well, Crap

I got to Sioux Falls safe and sound, but it was a little hairy there for a while. It was very rainy as I left St. Louis, and about an hour out I hit the sleet and snow. It got icy, and there was an accident that more or less stopped traffic completely at one point (which was ok, because you can't slide off the interstate when you're going 2 mph, generally). After three hours, I was half way across the state in Columbia, and things were looking better, but I wasn't sure if that was because they actually were, or if it was because there was a lot of traffic and plows to take care of the mess in Columbia. I called my father to tell him that I wasn't very far, and to ask for his analysis of the current radar/doppler maps. He thought I should be just about out of the snow by Kansas City, which was another three hours at the rate I was going. Thankfully, as I headed west the roads continued to get better, and an hour before I got to K.C. the roads were clear, it wasn't snowing, and I was free to proceed. In K.C. the skies were blue, and it was smooth sailing. It was a very long trip, but in reality, I've had worse.

Today we had our traditional turkey dinner (19 pounds for 5 people!) and it was good. I also got a chance to knit like crazy, and I finished the Booga bag! Well, I still have to add handles, but the hard part is over. I think I put it through four agitation cycles in the washer, and hit it with cold water twice. I took a picture of the un-felted bag on my sister's head for a "before" shot. She didn't understand that I was doing anything more than being silly, and she deleted the pictures. I was so angry and upset. I was excited to show the "before" and "after" shots, and now I only have the "after". It's not a big deal, but it was important to me. Once I explained the situation she felt really bad. It's hard to be mad at someone who is apologetic. At any rate, the bag turned out beautifully, it's just the right size (I wanted it shorter than the original bag) and I found just the right box to block it on. I can't wait to add the handles; I might even add a magnetic snap to keep it closed.

I do have pictures, but they are on the memory stick in my camera. With my own computer I can just stick the memory stick in the memory stick hole, but I'm using my mother's computer which doesn't have a memory stick hole, and the only phone jack (to use my own comoputer) here in the spare bedroom is behind a heavy dresser. I'll hunt down a spare phone jack somewhere in the house tomorrow.

I also ripped out the novelty yarn scarf. It was getting pretty low on yarn, and it was so short, and too wide to wear the way I wanted to wear it, and I didn't like the edge anyway. Now it's narrower, and because I've been slipping the first stitch of every row it's much stretchier. It'll be much longer now. Sara (my apologetic sister) wanted to take a picture of it before I ripped it out, to make up for deleting the "before" pictures. I also let her take one of the "after" pictures. By that time, she was feeling worse than I was, and I thought it would help.

Anyway, I hope everyone had a safe and happy Thanksgiving. We have much to be thankful for.