Saturday, December 25, 2004

The "Christmas Goose"

Anyone who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach can kiss my culinarily-abled-and-single butt.
Clockwise, from the left, Smashed Potatoes, Cherry Pie, Caneton Montmorency (Roast Duck with Cherries), sauce for the duck, and steamed broccoli. Yum. It took over four hours. I missed the movie I wanted to go see. Maybe tomorrow.

I had never had Smashed Potatoes before, but now that I have, I'm not looking back. No more mashed for me, people. Smashed are way better. And easier, too. You just boil the potatoes (with the skin on), mix some butter, cream cheese, water from cooking the potatoes, with salt and pepper, and then use a spoon to smash the potatoes and mix everything together, and it's so yummy. At my first taste I was actually sad I had made the duck because I wanted to just eat the whole bowl of potatoes. And I love duck with cherries.

The pie was a little baby pie I bought at the grocery store. I wasn't sure how many pieces to cut it into - maybe I'd just tie my hands behind my back and "dig in". But I showed restraint and cut it into four pieces, and only ate one.

Now, even though it is only six o'clock, I am going to get ready for bed, make some hot chocolate (with hot water from my new tea kettle, of course) and crawl into bed to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" and knit on something.

I've had a lovely Christmas. I hope you and yours have had as wonderful a day as I.

0 comments: