Thursday, March 23, 2006

Intuition


One more sleeve, and I'm ready to assemble. Well, one more sleeve, and the zipper has to come in the mail, and I'm ready to assemble. I think it'll be easier to sew the zipper in first, then assemble, so I may have to wait a bit. I think I'll live; this has been a quick knit.

I have done one thing differently than the pattern recommends, and I'm considering another. The first is that I knitted the front bands before blocking, not after. I wasn't sure why I would want to wait, and I knew I'd want to block them before sewing in the zipper, that's for sure. The second thing I'm considering is changing the order of seaming. Bonne Marie recommends sewing the side seams, then the sleeve seams, then seaming the sleeves to the sweater, much as it is done in fabric sewing. However, I think it's easier to line up the sleeve in an armscye I can lay somewhat flat, but this is raglan, so it's a little different, I guess. I can't think of any reason not to sew the raglan seams, then the side seams; can you? I trust Bonne Marie implicitly, but I think this is just a matter of preference.

Just as in cooking, I need to learn to trust my instincts, and know when I can do what I want, or when something seems "off".

1 comments:

Unknown said...

If you think about it, knitting a raglan you would always "seam" the sleeve to the armscye (just where did that word come from?) frist and then seam the sides and sleeve seams. Only in sewing a fitted sleeve with ease would you do a sleeve to body seam last. You've got me? I would just do it how you want.