Friday, April 10, 2009

House Hunting For Real

....and...

...it's a random toilet.

So.  It was my first house-hunting outing with my real estate agent.  The first house we went to was one that looked good on paper, but wasn't.

I took this picture:
And then I took this picture while my agent was trying to get the door open:
And that was the last picture I took, I was laughing so hard.  It was a dump.  It seemed like it was worth a look, and now I know.  It wasn't.  She's going to go tell the listing agent (a co-worker) that it's way overpriced because it's a dump.  I made her look at the whole thing, but I was just laughing the whole time.  People had scratched their names in the door frame in the kitchen, for pete's sake. 

And then we went to look at this one:  Go look at it; the pictures are pretty good, and accurate.

It looked pretty nice.  It was recently rehabbed, and there were just a few issues.  The biggest:  It's crooked.
These pictures don't do justice to the crookedness of these doors.  And sadly, instead of straightening out the house as it settled, the doors were slowly cut off to make them fit.  At least, that's what I presume happened.  I'm not really concerned that it's still settling at its age, but it doesn't look good.  The stained-glass on either side of the door, on the other hand, I love.  So, since it's a low price (and Agent says it should be lower) it's still on the "maybe" list.  It looks nice enough that I could move in and have people over right away, making changes over time, like replacing the windows that should be stained-glass, and putting in wood floors.  Again, I'd like to restore the fireplace, and the new wood doesn't match the old.  I'd have to figure out what to do about that.  

And it had the "random toilet".  As you can see from the picture above, It's between a door on the left and the furnace on the right.  Not really a place to put up some walls around the toilet to make it a bathroom.  My agent joked that it was the "half bath" without any prompting from me, so you can see we're on the same wavelength.

And that was it.  No one else would let us look at their houses.  We'll go again next week and try to get into a few more.

In knitting news, Jonah's sweater almost has a hood.  About an inch to go, and then I'm in the home stretch on that one.  Pictures will follow shortly.

0 comments: