Thursday, July 29, 2004

How sweaty do I want to be?

The other day I got an electric bill. It was for over $140. I live in a one-bedroom apartment, and I don't mind warm weather, so I keep the thermostat above 75. I think this is ridiculous, so this morning I called the apartment office to ask about it. They said they would look at the air conditioner and check the furnace filter.

Oh no! The filter? That's IN my apartment. My apartment is a disaster zone. I hung up the phone and felt really bad for a minute. Then I started to think of other things, and tried to be distracted.

When I got home today there was a little card hanging from my doorknob informing me that someone had been there, that everything was ok, and that "we had a few 90 degree days". Apparently I need to pay $50 a day to use a piece of crap air-conditioner? Is that how it's going to be? I guess so. So it's going to be a hot summer. My lease isn't out until April, and I can't afford to move anyway. Maybe life will turn around by then, and I can move into a complex that doesn't have air-conditioners from the stone ages. I'm so pissed off. As I mention in the description of my blog, I'm severely disposable-income-challenged, and this cuts not only into the already-imaginary yarn budget, but I'll probably have to start eating less. That's ok. I could stand to lose some weight.

0 comments: