Saturday, July 31, 2004

Introducing....

My stash. This is it. The only yarn I ever bought without a specific project in mind.

 Posted by Hello


 Posted by Hello


I bought it last year at the Renaissance Festival in Kansas City. It's from a company called "Th'Red Head Designs", it's hand spun tencel/merino, and it's so soft. And it's just veriegated enough to be interesting, but not so much that it pools much. I justified it as a "souvenir" purchase, not a yarn purchase. It was $18.80 for 4.7 oz. I think I have over 1000 yards. It's pretty lightweight. Well, I finally balled it up last night


(This is the pizza cutter I use as a nostepinne (sp?). I have a motto about knitting accesories that I don't have but need that goes like this: "Something in your house will work, you just have to find it.")




and did a swatch this morning.





In fact this morning when I woke up, I had forgotten about it, and when I saw the balls sitting there where I had left them last night, it was like the yarn fairy had visited, and left me something just ripe for the knitting.

Well, the good news is that it'll be just about perfect for the Cap-Sleeved Top in the Spring 2004 Interweave. The bad news it that it's a real Pain In The Ass. The loops are so big, they get all twisted together, and it's difficult to get the needle through the yarn and not the boucle loops. And I oscillate between thinking this is a great choice for this pattern and a terrible choice. I think "it'll be just furry enough to be cool" and "it'll be just furry enough to look stupid." Well, it won't hurt to get started, and if I get a ways and hate it, no harm done.

So I guess it's not really stash anymore. Now I have no stash. But I DO have UFOs and WIPs. It's all good. I'm not much of a stash-accumulator anyway. I like to buy enough yarn for a project, no more, no less. I don't do a lot with small amounts of leftover yarn. And I don't like to buy a project too far ahead, because by the time I get to it, I might have changed my mind. Ten years from now, I can guarantee I won't want a poncho. If I'm going to knit a poncho, I better do it right now, because this isn't going to last long. And my taste in color and yarn might change, not to mention my size :o, blah blah blah. So my current practice is that I can buy as many patterns as I want because you can always substitute a yarn, but once a pattern is out of print, well, you can re-design it yourself, but what a pain. I tend to see things and love the pattern and love the yarn and I don't want to make a lot of changes. I could make changes if I wanted, but I usually don't. Right now there are so many projects that I want to make without changes, I don't bother with the ones that aren't quite what I want. I'm just not very picky, I suppose. Some people think this makes me an immature knitter, but I disagree. If I wanted to change them, I could. I just don't want to.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

0 comments: