Wednesday, August 11, 2004

No News is Good News

Not much to report today. Oddly enough, I actually had some motivation at work and got some stuff done. Bizarre considering how bad I felt yesterday (headache, general malaise). Then I went out to dinner and knitting at Barnes&Noble, as I do every Wednesday night. I'm still working on the purple boucle cap-sleeved top, but there's not a lot of progress to report, and it's late, so I'll take a picture in the daylight tomorrow.

A few days ago I was reading MasonDixon Knitting and they are running an "Afghanalong" wherein we all knit 8x8 squares and they take them and sew them together to make Afghans for people in Afghanistan (whom I'm sure have never heard the term "Afghan" used in reference to a handmade, somewhat small, yarn-of questionable-origin, at-least-its-warm blanket). Anyway, they had maps of both the world and the US indicating where the squares had come from thus far. I was shocked and appalled (ok, maybe not so shocked) that South Dakota had not participated yet, and then "the Dakotas" were mentioned specifically in the blog entry, and since they were being a little loose with the "place of origin" rules, I promptly set to work to rememedy the situation, having grown up in South Dakota, and my square will count, dang it! In the past few days I have completed one, count 'em, one afghan square. I probably would have gotten more done, but that pesky Master Knitter program got in my way. It was this afghan square that got me looking for the leftover yarn from the Master Knitter program which caused me to remember the Master Knitter program, and thus take it out and finish it.

It's only just beginning to set in that it is no longer in my closet, on my "to-do" list. It's not even in the house. The USPS has it right now. Since I've had it for almost a year and a half, it's kind of unbelievable. I just hope I don't have to re-do a whole lot of it; I'll feel like an idiot, I'm sure.

Well, I hope you found that interesting. If you didn't, go check out the Madli Shawl knitalong blog; I've been rather verbose over there lately.

Oh yeah, and my tattoo is up at the Knitattoo Gallery. Go check it out!

1 comments:

Teri said...

Now I'm interested in researching the etymology of 'afghan' as the blankety thing. Not that I'll actually do it, but I'm intrigued enough to wonder about it. For some reason, I think it has to do with a breed of sheep or something, but I could be mistaken. It's happened.

BTW, I updated. About time, eh?