Thursday, December 30, 2004

My Life is a Low-Grade Nightmare

Two hours ago I was in my Pastor's office discussing the letter I mentioned yesterday. He was not as alarmed as All My Knitty Friends, but he agreed with Kelly that it sounded like he'd like a "date" which I immediately said was inappropriate, especially considering how young he thinks I am. My pastor and I discussed the situation for about 10 minutes, and I explained that while my friends thought this man is a whacko, I didn't necessarily, and he concurred that he is not a whacko, but that he is probably just lonely, and it's the holidays, yadda, yadda, yadda.

I would like to go to a tall mountain or a low valley and scream at the top of my lungs. I should not have to discuss with my pastor how some old man is interested in me, whom he thinks is a young girl. The whole thing is so disturbing and icky. My pastor encouraged me to be direct with him about it, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that. I'd rather be the ostrich, with my head in the sand, and pretend this isn't even happening. I'd like to politely blow off the invitation in as casual a manner as possible.

Maybe if I pretend my life is normal, it will be.

Oh, and yesterday, I forgot my favorite bit of advice from Lindsey. She said "Don't actually meet with him! You could be...knitting something!" Which was her way of saying "There are much better things to do with your time." There was never any doubt that I wouldn't be spending any time with this person, but I appreciated how heartfelt the advice was. I think we can all use Lindsey's advice: Never do anything for which the time taken would be better spent knitting.

1 comments:

Melicrious said...

v. weird. Hang in there. weird crap like that happens to everyone sometimes beth. Just stay positive :)
kath