Tuesday, July 12, 2005

No More Questions, Please!

I'm back from Cincinnati, and I'm in one piece. One very tired piece, but one piece none-the-less.

My flight to Cincinnati was late, and then there was a slight snafu with my luggage, so I didn't get to the hotel until midnight. I had to get up at 6:00, so I could meet with Dave The Recruiter for breakfast at 7:00. Then it was off to be interviewed for what seemed an eternity. It was over by about 2:30, but by this time I had been up for over nine hours, so I was ready to go. I think the interview went well; I had pleasant conversations with everybody (some were harder to warm up than others, some were very easy). I didn't get to meet again with Calvin The Future Boss at the end as planned, however, so I didn't get the "Don't Call Us, We'll Call You" wrap up, and I don't know what to expect from here. But that's ok. I'm trying not to think about it too much. I have a philosophy that I don't want to work for anyone who doesn't want to hire me. So whatever happens will be ok.

[High point of the interview: The HR person asked me "What is one thing you want me to know about you?" and I said "I want this job." Nice. I just open my mouth and stupid stuff comes out. But we laughed about it and I pointed out that it's an example of how I'm pragmatic and to-the-point. Nice save.]

During the interview several people asked me about my hobbies. I explained the whole knitting thing, which caused a little giggling. HR Lady did an impression of me, holding my hands near my face and clicking along. It was funny, but I explained that no, that's not what I look like when I knit. And then she made me pretend to knit so she could see what I look like. Another interview high point.

Favorite thing I heard all day: They close the office from Christmas Eve to the first weekday after January 1st. It's like a free week of vacation. Rock on!

I got to the airport by 3:00 and my flight didn't leave until 7:10. By 5:00 I thought that perhaps I had died, and the Cincinnati airport was Hell, because it felt like eternity and it certainly wasn't Heaven. Maybe the Catholics have it right, and the Cincinnati airport is purgatory, or maybe it's Heck. Ugh. So boring. And I was so tired, and I just wanted to lay down; I barely wanted to knit. It probably wasn't that bad; I just wanted to go home.

So now I'm home, and eating Ted Drewes Frozen Custard because I better eat it while I can!

[Sorry no pictures; I left the memory card for the camera at home.]


Vicki said...

I'm glad it went well. I'm bad at interviewing. I'm so shy and humble (does it cancel out being humble if you call yourself humble??). Frozen custard is the best!

Lauren said...

Ha, just wait until Ms. Mocker over there drools over your projects and FOs! She'll be knitting in no time. I'll be here if you need to commiserate about leaving St. Louis!

Heather said...

I am glad that the luggage is safe after the snafu, I was really sweating your new cute luggage being lost in the endless conveyor belts under the airport or something like that. I hope all goes well and they don't keep you lingering in post interview lingo for too long. I am sure waiting is the hardest part.

Michelle said...

Hi - I read your blog all the time! I own a staffing firm in KC - so believe me when I say that I wish more people would show interest in jobs -- don't get me started - but suffice it to say that I always tell my job candidates to make sure to ask for the position if they want it! :)

Good Luck!

Nomad said...

Aww, I'm sure you did well! I send out millions of resumes and nobody ever calls me for even a first interview.

Remember, the Cinti airport is actually in Kentucky, so it doesn't count as a bad Ohio experience if you DO get the job!

Emily said...

Sounds like you did everything in your power you could do! Good luck with the waiting.