Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Am I An Idiot or What?

Because the Bach Society* changed the dress code rules, I have to make a new dress. Basically I need a matte black long dress with long sleeves, which is really difficult to find, and when you do, it costs a thousand dollars. My old dress had short sleeves and was slightly shiny. This is the pattern I picked out, and I'm going to make it with crepe. Our executive director insists that I can just wear something knit as long as it's black and matte. I think that it's important to "match" the men, and that's why we look so crappy sometimes - a lot of the women look too casual.

So, I just finished reading through the directions, and you might as well just send the authorities over now. It's a fully lined jacket, with those flouncy things! What am I thinking? What a pain in the ass.

However, when it's done, it will be machine washable. Hooray!

* The Bach Society is the semi-professional choir I belong to, and our dress code has to do with how we look for concerts. The men wear tuxes.

8 comments:

Tipper said...

That'll be a very elegant and Bach-y dress.

Amy said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

funny - i read your post at least 3 times before I realized that it was the Bach society and not the BEACH society. Makes much more sense now - I was having a hard time reconciling a Beach society in tuxes and not board shorts ;)

Teri said...

Looks great. I don't remember how accomplished you are with a sewing machine. Feel free to email me or call me with any questions. Also, if you truly want it to be machine washable...make sure to wash the fabric BEFORE you cut and sew it. Otherwise you may get puckered and distorted seams. Voice of experience talking here, can ya tell?

Anonymous said...

Don't the guys always get off easy with just needing to wear a tux!! It's just a good thing that the dress you're going to make is SO pretty!!! Good luck!

Dixie said...

Oooo! I think it's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

That is a fantastic pattern! Where can I find it?

Cheryl said...

It's a beautiful pattern. Hopefully you will get through it and look stunning in it!
Which pattern company is this from?