Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Extreme Makeover: Computer & Television Edition

What a difference a restore made. And cable. And TiVo.

As previously mentioned, I restored my C: drive to its original state last week, and let me tell you, it’s like having a whole new computer. Everything works. Video works. Printing works. The mouse works. And for the most part, they work quickly. Even the security software doesn’t mess things up. It’s a bleedin’ miracle. I should have done this years ago.

Then, I got fed up with broadcast television. I haven’t had cable for nearly ten years, but in my apartment in KY, even with a fancy antenna, reception was terrible and I was constantly adjusting. In the past I taped shows I was going to miss and watched them when nothing good was on, but what’s the point of programming my VCR when I can’t be there to be sure the station is coming in? Second factor – the WB. I don’t know what they’ve done in your area, but in my area the station that was the WB got moved to another station that only broadcasts in digital which requires a much fancier antenna than I have or am willing to buy. Third factor – my local cable provider has a Basic Basic Basic cable package which is nothing more than the local broadcast and public access stations, for a mere $13/month. I sit and stare at the TV as if I’ve never seen one before. Where did all the static go? Where are all the ghosts? It’s like being in a hotel.

And I’ve wanted TiVo for a long time, but didn’t think it was worth it if I didn’t have reliable reception. Now I do. The box had a big rebate available, and the monthly service is not a lot, either. It’s very cool, and I think it’ll be worth every penny, since I tend to be absent-minded and end up with a lot of partially watched video tapes with no idea what’s on them. I like to be organized. This is good.

Too bad I have to go to chorus rehearsal tonight; I’d really like to sit around and stare at softly glowing screens. That work.

0 comments: