Tuesday, August 07, 2007

My Too Leetle Bag

A few weeks ago someone asked me if I could sew, and I hemmed and hawed and said "not really". But then I realized that's kind of ridiculous. I used to work in a fabric store, made half of my clothes in high school (just imagine how popular I was!) and when I needed a black floor-length gown for the chorus I was in, I made one. And then made another one when they changed the rules to include "long sleeves". So yeah, I guess I can sew. Sortof.

Yesterday I did a bit of sewing. I made a new My Leetle Bag. My original design was for a more-or-less-square bag, and intended it to be used (by me) for socks-in-progress. I since have discovered that it's not quite big enough for a 100g pre-balled ball of yarn:


This is a sock-in-progress, and the ball wants to stick out the top, and it'll barely close. The yarn is kind of squished down in there. And the needles have always stuck out the top, no matter the yarn size.

So I made a new bag, 1 1/2 inches taller. I don't think it's as pretty as the first (square is so intrinsically perfect) but it certainly holds the project better. The next time I make one I'll probably increase by just an inch or half an inch.


For those of you playing along, that means I cut the fabric into pieces 9.25 x 12 inches. Next time it'll be 9.25 x 11 or 11.5.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been doing a lot of sewing lately. Just finishing up the 5th tote bag/purse. 4 of us are going to Stitches from here, so I am making us shopping bags! Once it's full we have to stop? or go back to the room to unload!