Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas!!

Oh dear.  I'm a bit late this year.  Usually I post a lovely picture of my tree or some decorations, and my Christmas Duck and Some Other Stuff meal, and share my wishes that you have had a lovely day, regardless if it is of any significance to you or not.

This year was a bit different in a couple of ways.  I maintained the tradition of staying home (see previous post re: Sadie and I Are Taking a Rest) and I cooked the traditional Christmas Duck, but I used Alton Brown's "Mighty Duck" recipe this year.  A good change.  Maybe next year I'll figure out a way to combine Alton's cooking technique with Julia's sauce sensibilities.  I kind of missed the cherries.  I also made smashed potatoes, but I was running behind, due to the duck's reluctance to thaw even given several days in the refrigerator, and my having forgotten to make the creme brulee the day before, and the potatoes weren't as done as I thought they were (apparently Sadie isn't the only one who regresses under stress) so they didn't smash as well as they should have.  I also under-cooked the creme brulee and forgot to put in the vanilla.  On top of it all, it looks like a carboard factory exploded in my apartment and there was no way I could clean off the table to get a pretty picture.  le sigh.

But Lisa and I went to the movies and saw "Marley and Me".  Oh my, we cried and cried.  I think I owe Lisa a package of kleenex; if I had been at home by myself I would have been outright bawling.  It was funny, it was touching, it was real, I loved it.  The movie reviewer that morning had said to skip it.  He must not be a dog person.  I cried all the way home and gave Sadie a big hug as soon as I got there.

Speaking of Sadie, I got a new digital camera for Christmas, and I'm always hoping for better pictures of my knitting, and better pictures of my dog.  Sadie loves the camera, but not the way children who always smile for the photographer do.  

Canon cameras must taste like chicken:
I hope that second one doesn't result in early blindness.

In other news, my problem espresso machine was replaced with a new one, it was delivered on the 23rd, and I've been learning a lot, but that's another post.  Coming soon to a computer near you.

0 comments: