Monday, September 06, 2004

I Heart ChicKnits and ChicKnits Hearts Me (oh, yeah, and an FO)

I worked all day today...My first all-blog-documented FO - the Cabaret Raglan! (Alas, I do not actually have big boobs. It is merely an illusion created by a padded bra and some overhead lighting. Boo.)


First, I ripped out and re-knit the bodice lace pattern. Then I seamed the raglan seams, knit the collar, and knit the side seams. It doesn't sound like it should have taken me all day, but it did. Seaming took forever for some reason. I was done around 9:00 this evening. I tried so hard to finish it before the sun went down, but alas. I'm not sure why everyone takes pictures of FOs without their faces; I did it because I don't photograph well without makeup and I'm not putting on makeup at nine o'clock at night for my knitting blog, and a picture that's crappy because of the light anyway.

What's left of the yarn: (and a better picture of the color)
Good thing I could take those inches out of the sleeves, and aren't you glad I did? I like the length. It was supposed to take 852 meters, and took 990, with the body 1/2 inch shorter, and the sleeves a full inch shorter, and gauge exactly right. Kind of frustrating. I would take a picture of the Skittles that are left, but I already ate them.

In other news, before I put in another movie to watch while doing the last bit of seaming, I happened to bring up my own blog. I don't know why, I just did. And I looked at the counter, and it was 300 higher than when I last remembered looking, which is enormous for me. I got added to the Knit Bloggers Ring about a week ago, and since then I've had about 80-100 visitors a day, but 300! I thought "It must be a pretty boring Labor Day" as I went to find out where all these hits were coming from. Well, it seems that Bonne Marie at ChicKnits was so impressed with my grafting adventure, she put a little message of "Kudos!" to me in her sidebar, and a link to my humble little blog. It's greater Knit Blogger Fame than even I could have dreamed of, and I have a pretty active imagination. Some of you may remember how excited I was when Carrie, of Carrieoke fame commented, and how excited I was when I posted a response to a query on The Blue Blog and Alison responded. Well, this beats all. I immediately called my friend, Gwen. I knew she'd understand, and she did. Shucks, grafting the sleeves was nothing, I even messed up one of them.

But Hello!! [waving] to all of my new readers brought to me by ChicKnits. I am humbly and gratefully honored.

5 comments:

Bonne Marie said...

Your sweater is STUPENDOUS!!! Congratulations on a job well done!

I love your workmanship and interpretation of this beautiful design!

Wear in Good Health!

Gwen said...

Beth - This makes it official. You are absolutely the most famous (and fabulous) person I know. The sweater looks great on you! I can definitely see this is going to be one of your favorite sweaters.

Melicrious said...

I really like the shorter sleeve length beth! it makes the top lots more fun and flirty!! standing under the downlight helps too - tee hee :)

Anonymous said...

I made this sweater (in fact, I'm wearing it right now!) and it took me forever to seam too. Glad to know that it wasn't just me. At some point, I thought it took longer to seam than to knit.

Beth said...

Thank you everyone for the praise and adoration.

Jenn, it is not your fault. The "some reason" the Skittles sounded good is that Skittles ALWAYS sound good. You didn't start something, you just reminded me of something. The first bag was free a long time ago.

And Katherine, I can't really take credit for making the sweater cuter by shortening the sleeves. I actually thought they were going to be this long when I set out on this what-turned-out-to-be-an-adventure. I think the model is just a lot taller than me; it was just an inch. I love 3/4 sleeves. I think they make a person look taller.

Thanks again everyone!