Saturday, January 08, 2005

Elvis' Birthday Eve

That's right kids, tomorrow is Elvis' Birthday, which means that today is:

MY BIRTHDAY!!! Yippee!

I bought myself some flowers:

So pretty!
(They're really the color of the picture on the left, but I like the picture on the right, too.)

And a cake in the tradition of an old-time Roberts Family birthday:

Lemon cake from a box with lemon frosting from a tub with decorating frosting from a tube. Yeah, man. That's what we're talkin' about. I've been making myself a cake like this since I was 14. There have been years I've actually called into use my culinary skills and knowledge, but it's almost always lemon.

[I'm actually capable of making a very nice cake and decorating it beautifully, but I didn't feel like it. So I didn't. It's my birthday.]

I had a lovely birthday, actually. Work was uneventful; no one knew it was my birthday. My voice lesson was good; I mentioned that it was my birthday and I needed to come up with something good to do. My teacher said "eat whatever you want" and so I did. I went to the grocery store on the way home from work and bought the cake components, a box of Dots, and the flowers. I also bought some Ghirardelli chocolate hazelnut hot chocolate mix and some Reddi-Wip, but I'm too full to have any, since I also had Chinese take-out for dinner. There's a place about a mile away from where I live with the best, and biggest, crab rangoon, and I splurged, because it's my birthday. While I ate dinner I watched a little Star Wars from the box set I got from my sister Sara, who insisted that I not open it until today. My sister Jennifer in Seattle called, and we chatted for a while, and then my mom called, and I chatted with that part of the family for a while. And now I'm posting my first Birthday-Blog. Whoopee!

Now for your regularly scheduled knitting update:
This is the beginning of the second thrummed mitten:
I'd like to get it done before the February guild meeting so I can show it at Show-and-Share before the winter is out.
And this is my beautiful skein of Koigu, all wound up into a ball on my pizza cutter handle.
If you'd like to get me a birthday gift, I suggest a nostepinne. Duh.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

Happy Birthday!!!

The Koigu looks yummy. I don't know if a nostepinde would work better than the pizza cutter

Kristin said...

Happy Birthday. Hope it is a great day! Enjoy the snow.

Teri said...

Happy Birthday Beth! I miss you and everyone so much! Hope your day was great.

Anna said...

OMGosh! I didn't know it was your birthday! I was in the store today and had I known, I would have wished you a happy birthday. I hope it was a good one! :)

Melissa said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Unknown said...

Happy, happy, Birthday!
I have a nostepinne but haven't ever gotten the hang of it, maybe I should get a pizza cutter. Any tips for using either would be oh so welcome.
Love your blog.